- This page is about the Commodore 64 version. For other games in this series, see 180.
180 (a.k.a. Pub Darts on North American boxes) is a well-constructed, yet simplistic, darts game. You can play with two human players or single player against a computer opponent, but the only game you can play is the standard 501 point game of darts. To aim, you move a hand around the board, but you can't adjust throwing speed. To keep things interesting the AI opponents in each tournament have their own cartoon faces and playing styles.
When you get three triple-20s (without bust) in a single turn, an announcer shouts "One hundred eighty!" The quality is very low (6795 Hz on PAL C64s, 7053 Hz on NTSC C64s, 4-bit, in 5 KB), and it's very difficult to understand what the words are, but it's still impressive that the developers rendered a human voice on a PSG. Routledge wrote in the European version's scroller that he wanted to do the speech himself, but didn't sound northern enough.
The title song also plays as you watch the computer opponent take its turn after you. In very rare releases, that rendition ends at 0:07 with a deep major chord, forming a separate third track known as Waiting.
All songs were recorded:
- with PAL.
- from the Three on One compilation running in VICE 3.7.1 with C64 NTSC.
The VGMPF considers C64 old NTSC too similar.
|102||Set Start||David Whittaker||0:25||Download|
|202||Set Start||David Whittaker||0:22||Download|
- Ripper: High Voltage SID Collection
- Recorder: M1911 (PAL), Professor Chaos (NTSC)
- Game Credits:
(Source: title scroller.)
The fourth track in the rip is the speech.
Ripping Commodore 64 music is a very complex process that is beyond the scope of this site.
Three versions exist:
- In the most common one, Waiting does not exist and Title plays instead. Also, the double-out has two bugs.
- In a very rare version (probably included on Fantastic Four), both is changed.
- At least on Three on One, the board is shorter and darker. The loading and menu screens still say "180" rather than "Pub Darts".
- mobygames.com/game/20417/pub-darts/ - MobyGames.
- gamefaqs.gamespot.com/c64/563668-180 - GameFAQs.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180_%28video_game%29 - Wikipedia.
|180||• • • • • • • •|
|Notable Songs||Title • Set Start • Waiting|
|Notable Personnel||David Whittaker • Jason Brooke|
|Notable Companies||Binary Design • Mastertronic|