Space Game - One Man and His Droid (C64)
Space Game is a song by Rob Hubbard.
In late 1985, Hubbard released two demos:
- 5 Title Tunes Demo, which features an early stage of the C64 arrangement under the title "Space Game", and
- One Man and His Droidmusic/FX, which features the final stage as "Maintune".
Afterwards, he always referred to the song as "One Man and His Droid", the name given to the game by Mastertronic.
Around 1983, Hubbard was listening to Jean-Michel Jarre. Inspired, he composed and arranged a song on
- a Korg polyphonic synthesizer,
- a Moog synthesizer,
- a Roland TR-606 Drumatix,
- a Roland TB-303 Bass Line, and
- a Casio low-cost synthesizer,
some borrowed from friends, all connected through CV/gate (analog MIDI), and recorded using a 4-track tape recorder. On November 23, 2005, Hubbard let C64.COM release this recording. The overall arrangement and starting mood indeed sound like Jarre's Magnetic Fields, Part 1.
In 1985, Mastertronic, already a good client, ordered from Hubbard. Hubbard found his old composition fitting, arranged the first 16 melody bars on the C64, composed a new bassline, 16 new bars, and released this early stage.
One Man and His Droid (C64)
After releasing the early stage, Hubbard changed all instruments, arranged the other melodies from the analog arrangement, composed a run at bar 32, and many new sections. He finds this composition much better than the analog ideas. In 2000, the HVSC Crew and SID fans voted this final arrangement 50th favorite top SID.
The song was recorded from the game on a PAL C64C with an 8580 R5 4091 and in VICE 3.2 with C64C (NTSC), but otherwise sounds the same on every SID chip. In the rip, it is track 1.
Invade-a-load is a tape loader that lets you play Space Invaders while a bigger game loads.
On October 19, 2005, Aplin recalled:
Hubbard did not know the name Invade-a-load until 1997 or 1998.
Runs Invade-a-load for 1:33.
Runs Invade-a-load for 1:48.
Super Trolley (C64)
Runs Invade-a-load for 2:39.
Knight Tyme (C64)
Runs Invade-a-load for 1:45.
Aliens: The Computer Game PAL (C64)
Runs Invade-a-load on the Ricochet release.
- c64.com/audio_video.php - MP3 of analog arrangement.
- csdb.dk/release/?id=37580 - Hubbard's release of early C64 arrangement.
- csdb.dk/release/?id=128996 - Hubbard's release of final C64 arrangement.
- deepsid.com/?file=/MUSICIANS/H/Hubbard_Rob/Final_Synth_Sample_II.sid&subtune=2&tab=visuals&sundry=osc - Visualization of early C64 arrangement.
- deepsid.com/?file=/MUSICIANS/H/Hubbard_Rob/One_Man_and_his_Droid.sid&tab=visuals&sundry=osc - Visualization of final C64 arrangement.