|Sound Interface Device|
|Developer:||Per Håkan Sundell & Ron Birk|
Sound Interface Device (SID) is a format that houses Commodore 64 and 128 music. It consists of a BASIC program or a block of machine code which writes data to the SID chip, the entry addresses of the block, the number of songs in the file, title, artist, year, publisher, speed and used SID model. At a minimum, SID players emulate the 6510 CPU and SID chip in order to playback the audio, but SID files can also be loaded and played on a real C64.
The overwhelming majority of SID files are mono, as one chip can produce only mono sound. Some music may rely on two or even three chips (so it's called 2SID/3SID), doubling or tripling the amount of channels to make available hard left/hard right sound or even add center track to them with 3SID. No one known game use this ability, only some Commodore 64 demos.
From 1990 to 1994, Sundell and Birk developed a SID player for their Amiga demo The 100 Most Remembered 64 Game-Tunes and for their tool PlaySID. Originally, a SID tune was spread over 2 files. Due to popular demand, an one-file format was introduced in PlaySID V2.2. This was the first version of the SID format.
- ACID 64 Player Pro - Windows
- DeliPlayer - Windows
- JAM For Windows - Windows
- RdosPlay - DOS
- SID - XMPlay
- SID Decoder - foobar2000
- SIDPlay - Macintosh
- SIDPlay - Windows
- SIDPlay 2 - Winamp
- SID Player (Windows Phone) - Windows Phone
- SidEdit - Windows
SID to ?
- JAM For Windows - Windows - WAV
- SID Decoder - foobar2000 - WAV
- SID to MIDI - Windows - MIDI, TXT
- SID to MIDI (Windows) - Windows - MIDI, TXT
- SID to WAV - Windows - WAV
- SIDPlay - Windows - WAV
? to SID
All Commodore 64 games and programs can have their audio ripped to SID format.
The majority of popular Commodore 64/128 games have their music ripped to SID format, but this list includes games that either don't have a rip, or have an incomplete rip:
- 4x4 Off-Road Racing (C64) - incomplete
- DragonStrike (C64)
- Insects In Space (C64) - incomplete
- Might and Magic: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum (C64)
- Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World (C64)
- Moondust (C64)
- Rocky Horror Show (C128)
- Ultima VI: The False Prophet (C64)
How to Obtain
Ripping SID files requires an intimate knowledge of MOS 6502 machine code and the SID chip, but luckily, most popular Commodore 64 games already have their sound ripped to SID format and can be downloaded:
- hvsc.c64.org/#download - High Voltage SID Collection (unfortunately, published music is intermixed with amateur songs).
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technology_SID - Wikipedia.