Prince of Persia (DOS)
|Prince of Persia|
- This page is for DOS release. For other games in the series see Prince of Persia.
Prince of Persia is an action-adventure game with strong puzzle elements.
The story of this takes place in Persia somewhere in the Middle Ages. The old sultan had a daughter, which were beautiful for the sultan's grand vizier, Jaffar. But the princess loved only one man - nameless Prince, who is the main game character. One day Jaffar captured the throne with his magic. The Prince was imprisoned in the dungeons, and Jaffar put the princess for a choice - to marry him, or to die. And gave her only one real hour to choose. One hour - it's the time you had to unchain yourself to run off the jail and save her. Or game will be over.
The interesting feature of this game is the usage of rotoscopy for some game sprites (e.g. for Prince Jordan Mechner used his younger brother). This idea was also used in the game Another World (DOS), coming 2 years later.
The music is great arrangement of the tunes, reminding some Middle Age East music.
The titles are based on internal file names, and the tracks are ordered by the usage in the game.
The Roland MT-32 recording starts with a 1, the AdLib recording starts with a 2, the PS/1 Audio with 3, the PC Speaker with 4.
This recording is incomplete.
|201||Prologue A||Francis Mechner||Unknown||0:24||Download|
|401||Prologue A||Francis Mechner||Unknown||0:22||Download|
|402||Prologue B||Francis Mechner||Unknown||0:14||Download|
- Ripper: M1911 (music), binarymaster (sounds, MT-32 patchset)
- Recorder: M1911 (AdLib, PC Speaker), binarymaster (MT-32, PS/1)
- Game Credits:
Also MT-32 patchset reveals some credits to Michael Barrett:
(some words are truncated due to MT-32 tone name length limitation)
- Music were extracted from MIDISND1.DAT and MIDISND2.DAT files.
- Digital sounds were extracted from DIGISND1.DAT, DIGISND2.DAT and DIGISND3.DAT files.
- MT-32 sounds were extracted from MT32SND1.DAT and MT32SND2.DAT files.
- MT-32 patchset was extracted from PRINCE.DAT file.
MFF and MFX file names were obtained from the title meta events. MT-32 patchset was injected into MIDI files, so it will be playable in MUNT player or on real Roland MT-32 synthesizer module. Digital sounds are in custom format which also converted to WAV.
- mobygames.com/game/dos/prince-of-persia - MobyGames.
- gamefaqs.com/pc/562672-prince-of-persia-1989 - GameFAQs.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Persia_%281989_video_game%29 - Wikipedia.