1.) FM Synthesis
- Twice as many channels (18 instead of 9)
- Simple stereo (hard left, center, or hard right)
- 4 channel sound output
- 4 new waveforms (alternating-sine, "camel"-sine, square, and logarithmic sawtooth)
- 4 oscillator mode, pairing 2 channels together to create up to six 4 oscillator FM voices
- Reduced latency for host-register access (the OPL2 had much longer I/O access delays)
The following sound cards utilized the YMF262:
|1992-??-??||Creative||Sound Blaster Pro 2.0|
|1992-??-??||Ad Lib||AdLib Gold 1000|
|1992-??-??||Creative||Sound Blaster 16|
|1994-03-??||Creative||Sound Blaster AWE32|
This list is meant to be in chronological order, but many release dates are missing.
The YMF262 has been emulated by DOSBox and MAME.